Nuisance Wildlife

Whom to call

To report an injured or orphaned wild animal, contact any of the FWC's 5 regional offices for a list of wildlife rehabilitators, or consult one of the rehabilitators on this list.

Additional information about reporting injured manatees, black bears or sea turtles.

Nuisance Wildlife

If the animal is a domestic or feral animal, such as dog, cat, horse, etc. - it is best to contact your County Animal Control Office or Humane Society.

If the situation involves a wild animal, such as a raccoon, opossum, armadillo or snake - the Commission allows landowners to take nuisance wildlife under certain conditions. You also may give permission to another individual to take nuisance animals for you. Consult the FWC's list of Nuisance Wildlife Trappers that Operate in Your County. Most trappers will charge a fee for their services.

If the situation involves waterfowl such as mallards, muscovy ducks or Canada geese, please visit the nuisance waterfowl page.

The FWC does not remove nuisance animals, with the exception of imperiled species in limited situations. FWC regional staff can answer specific questions about human/wildlife conflict. To reach a Wildlife Assistance Biologist, please contact the regional office that serves your county.

What should you do when you come upon a snake?

If the situation involves an alligator - To report a nuisance alligator, call 866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286).

If the situation involves a bear - If you have a nuisance bear in your neighborhood or on your property, please contact your local FWC regional office or call the Wildlife Alert hotline at 888-404-FWCC (3922).

Many laws protect Florida's wildlife. You can help the Commission - and remain anonymous - by calling 888-404-FWCC (3922) to report wildlife law violators.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has additional information about federal laws.

What can be done about nuisance wildlife?

Rabid Animals

If you suspect an animal of having rabies or if someone has been bitten, contact the local County Health Department.

The Florida Department of Health (DOH) is the agency primarily responsible for rabies response, prevention, treatment and control. If you suspect an animal of having rabies or if someone has been bitten, contact the local County Health Department. Public health staff will investigate animal bite reports. The DOH can request help from the Sheriff's office, Animal Control or the FWC, but their staff will make that decision. View the listing of Florida County Health Departments at

For more information about rabies control and prevention in Florida, visit the DOH on the Web at:

Dead Birds

The FWC works cooperatively with the Florida Department of Health on a wild bird mortality database. This project was initiated to support surveillance for bird die-offs, monitor for West Nile Virus, and is now also being used to monitor for avian influenza. The FWC is also interested in monitoring bird electrocutions from power lines and poles so that faulty facilities may be repaired.

If you find a dead bird, please report the bird by logging on to this special FWC website, or call your local FWC regional office. Your reports will assist in tracking the causes of bird mortality and surveying for avian influenza and West Nile Virus.

FWC Facts:
A jellyfish is 95 percent water.

Learn More at AskFWC